BOD Announcement – State of the Organization
What is GKF All About?
GKF is a non-profit, social club promoting the sport of kayak fishing thru activities – camping, recreational kayak fishing, competitive fishing & seminars across GA. The Mission of Georgia Kayak Fishing, Inc. is to foster and promote recreational kayaking and kayak fishing within the state of Georgia and throughout the Southeast. GKF, Inc. encourages and supports social and environmental responsibility toward the lakes, rivers, seashore and other natural resources in and around Georgia. For those interested, we’re are classified by the IRS as a 501(c)4 Organization and a true legal entity.
What’s Going on with Georgia Kayak Fishing Summer of 2016?
Recently, 3 board members decided to step down from the GKF Board of Directors. Some Board Members felt that Tournaments took priority over all; maybe because tourney’s are very popular, maybe because they generate lots of money or possibly out of passion for competitive bass fishing. Others felt that as a legal Non Profit Organization, it was the GKF Board of Director’s responsibility to prioritize GKF Membership, communicate direction to members, provide VALUE to paying membership and contribute to worthy charity at season’s end while fulfilling our requirements as a non-profit organization.
An impas was reached mid May when a call to address membership value was repeatedly made by some, yet not addressed by all. At which point the decision had to be made between compromise, and stepping down. Compromise was not an option for those that stepped down and are now starting their own tournament trail / club to forward their goals. We wish them the very best of luck in their new venture and hold zero ill will towards these individuals, or their newly formed club / tournament trail, or anyone who has taken sides in this. There’s a lot of water out there Folks and we can all enjoy it together! We are also very excited about GKF’s renewed dedication to community and membership growth. This initiative will ensure that money generated from GKF Membership and GKF Events, is actually used in accordance with the GKF Inc Constitution.
What is GKF… A Tournament trail? Or a Kayak Fishing Club? Georgia Kayak Fishing Inc, by our Articles of Incorporation, was founded “for the benefit of it’s members and the promotion of kayak fishing.” We are very much, and always will be, a kayak fishing club first. Tournaments are just one of the fun activities GKF hosts and participates in. Should other for profit organizations decide that our values of community and membership do not meet their needs or fill their rosters, they are welcome to disassociate from GKF as some have done. The reality is, Georgia Kayak Fishing Inc is the largest kayak fishing club in the state of Georgia. And we will work for continued growth of the GKF Community, the Sport of Kayak Fishing, both recreational and competitive, and hosting of some of the best kayak fishing events in the state of Georgia.
What’s being Done?
1) Added value to all supporting member levels is now a priority; membership packages, swag, giveaways, events, raffles, exclusive opportunities and a voice. (Membership page updated)
2) A Members Only Facebook Page will be created where GKF Members can have a voice, discuss or vote on Club Initiatives (future BOD will be decided by Membership)
3) Huge Members Only Raffle at Season End Annual Meeting (October 22nd 2016, Medlock Tavern Norcross) – Event turnout and membership growth throughout the year will significantly increase Raffle Size that pays back to GKF MEMBERS. Even halfway through 2016, we can tell you this will be one of the largest valued kayak fishing raffles in the state of Georgia.
4) Develop a more even balance between Tournaments and Recreational Events in future seasons (Camp N Paddles)
5) We will be publicly declaring a pledge of support to a worthy Charity. And we will do so at the beginning of every season moving forward.
6) After operational expenses, 50% of GKF Yearly Gross Revenue will go to designated Charity for the Season, 50% will go to Tournament Prizes and Annual Meeting Members Only Raffle (along with Sponsor Donations). And we will make steps to once again become a “open book company”.
7) GKF wants to become a more transparent organization! We want members to know that their club contribution benefits the GKF Member Base, help to develop the club and makes a difference in a worthy charity.
What’s going to happen to GKF Tournaments?
With the exception of our scheduled online tournament, all GKF Tournaments are a GO as scheduled on our website. GKF will have tournaments next year, and the year after and so on. However, tourneys will never take priority over Membership Benefits or our contribution to a charitable cause. Unfortunately for 2016, recently departed Board Members have swayed decisions of previous GKF Partner Tournament Trails to drop GKF Events from State Championship qualification over this riff. The good news is, our ex-GKF Board Members have decided to carry on their passion for tournament bass fishing with their own new tournament trail, intended to take the place of ours and they plan to carry over GKF points earned through 2016 tournaments so GKF Anglers can still qualify for the state championship. In addition, we are working to obtain sponsor merchandise from ex-board members that had been pledged and donated to GKF for 2016 by sponsors. The great news is, many sponsors and members are already answering the call of support. So GKF Tournaments will still offer some awesome prizes and cash payouts in the 2016 season and beyond! A huge “Thank You” goes out to all individuals and businesses who have and will stand behind GKF.
GKF Camp and Paddles?
Our 2016 schedule is set. We have 3 tournaments, the Jekyll Island Camp and Paddle and our Annual Meeting left to go. We will be holding strong to our 2016 schedule and maybe add smaller membership coordinated trips along the way. In 2017, the current BOD has every intention of balancing out GKF Tournaments with Camp n’ Paddles in the future. As for the remainder of 2016, Jekyll Island is expected to be a huge event again this year. Be sure to visit the event page for details. More to be discussed…
Georgia Kayak Fishing, Inc. strictly prohibits the use of our intellectual property, membership information, donated product or any other asset acquired or used through GKF business operations, to be utilized by those not affiliated with GKF, or for profit/benefit of any 3rd party group or organization for which GKF Permission of Use is not granted. If such situation comes to light, swift legal action will be taken.